Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 05:21:01 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Indra <m4v3r1ck@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie has a lot of questions...

* John Indra <m4v3r1ck@bigfoot.com> [000108 04:35] wrote:

> Hi list readers... =)
>
> I'm new to both this list and FreeBSD. I have a lot of questions and I
> have decided to ask them in one long mail ( *sorry* ) considering waste
> caused by my message headers if I ask one question in one mail.
>
> First of all, I'm Indonesian, so English definitely is not my mother
> language. Thus I beg your pardon for my vocab and grammatical errors.
>
> I'm a novice sysadmin. I administer a small network with Red Hat Linux
> as the core server (web, mail, and database). Have been interested with
> FreeBSD for a long time, so I decided to give it a try. I had my FreeBSD
> CD-ROM on Dec 31st 1999 and decided to delete a Linux partition and
> place FreeBSD over it. Know what really attract me to try FreeBSD? The
> daemon... ;) so... here's my first question: what's Mr D'mon name? I
> can't find it on the FAQ... Maybe this question (and answer) could be
> included in the future FAQ ;)
>
> Ok... now... to get to real business...
>
> I understand that there is a runlevel concept in Linux. I believe that
> this was inherited from SysV. Are there any runlevel concept on FreeBSD
> or *BSD variant in general?
> What is the boot sequence in FreeBSD? Till now, this is what I
> understand:
> Bootstrap -> /kernel -> /sbin/init -> read /etc/rc* -> invoke gettys ->
> login. Is my understanding correct?

Yes, however you have a couple of 'hooks' you can use, firstly,
/etc/rc.conf can have variables (NOT commands) put into it, look
at /etc/default/rc.conf for examples.

Also, /etc/rc.local can hold local startup commands, and /usr/local/etc/rc.d
can hold scripts to be run at startup (they must end in .sh)

> AFAIK all Linux distribution use bash as their default shell. So when I
> got csh as my default root shell, I panic! Can anyone teach me how to
> use csh? I don't need to know the details, I just need to know whether
> csh can cycle through all the commands I've executed (in bash, I can use
> the up and down arrow), and does csh support command/filename
> completion. If yes, how do I get it? (what key do I need to press? In bash,
> we use tab to complete command/filename)

csh has command completion, it's a bit different to use, I would suggest
check out the csh manpage, however bash is made available via the ports
and packages systems so you shouldn't have any trouble installing those.

> When I login as root on ttyv*, or if I login as normal user and then I
> su - to root, I got double "message". One outputed to /var/log/messages
> and the other outputed to my monitor (ttyv*). How can I omit the output
> to my ttyv? I am used to Red Hat's behaviour in that messages from
> kernel never shows up on my console...

Check the manpage for syslog and syslog.conf they should be able to
guide you through this.

> # gnuls -Al --color=auto /lkm
> total 0
> What's the difference between /lkm and /modules?

lkms are the old module system, modules are the new ones, it has to
do with our not-so-recent switch from a.out to ELF, don't expect
lkms to work.

> I've recompile my kernel and now, /kernel size is only 1223818 (almost
> half of the generic stock kernel). Is this size not too big? Sorry,
> cause I'm used to aproximately only 400 KB size of /boot/vmlinuz.

afaik Linux compresses thier kernels... why?  FreeBSD can, but doesn't.

> Are
> there other ways I should now to reduce my /kernel size and in the mean
> time, keep my hardware working properly. I've included options LKM in my
> kernel config, but that doesn't seem to reduce the size. Or... am I
> missing some steps similar to make modules ; make modules_install in
> Linux? I hope I didn't skip steps similar to that when I compiled my
> /kernel. I do config NAMEOFMYKERNEL ; cd ../../compile/NAMEOFMYKERNEL ;
> make depend; make ; make install

You're beating your head against the wall for no reason, having a kernel
that size is not a big deal.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html

> # modstat
> modstat: /dev/lkm: Device not configured
> What should I do to make it work? I'm using FreeBSD 3.4 on Intel Pentium
> 200 MMX...

use kldstat instead.

> How do I start single user mode?

interrupt the boot-loader and type: 'boot -s'

> And... one last question... for the moment ;)
> I have an Intel Pentium III 450 MHz running on ASUS P3BF motherboard
> with ATX power supply. I have included APM support in my /kernel. But
> everytime I halt my system it won't shutdown automatically. Is this
> normal?

not sure, can other operating systems halt the machine?  what command
are you using to 'shutdown' ?

> Thanks a lot...

best of luck,
--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
Wintelcom systems administrator and programmer