Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:11:02 +0800 (WST)
From:      David May <mayd@cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Q] User remote X user cannot take console via xconsole.

I just went through a very painful upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.2 and one of
the problems I have found is that xconsole no longer works from my
remote X sessions.  It used to work under FreeBSD 2.2.8. Xconsole
works when the X server is running on the console e.g. ttyv3. But I
always run X Windows using VNC from my PC, which works except that the
xconsole window always contains the message "Couldn't open console."  I
do not think this is a permissions problem as I have tried setting those
manually. I.e. :

(david@tandoori)$ls -l /dev/console
crw--w--w-  1 david  wheel    0,   0 Sep 21 18:07 /dev/console

Neither does it appear to be a kernel configuration problem. I.e. :

(david@tandoori)$strings /kernel |grep UCONSOLE
___options              UCONSOLE      #Allow users to grab the console

What am I doing wrong here? Does anyone know how to fix this or is it a
known bug? Any assistance would be appreciated.