Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 06:44:31 -0800
From:      Andrew S Harris <ash@britannia.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.1-Release install from dos partition problems.

Ok, I've had about enough searching through the archives, so I'll come
right out and
ask my question and hope that one of you guys can help me out..

I've got a 200 meg partition (c:) on my HD along with a 3.8 gig blank
partition set
aside for my FreeBSD slices.  I get through the install menu just fine,
but for the life
of me I cannot figure out how to get it to go grab the files from
c:\freebsd\*
It just keeps giving me the old cannot find files type error and says
that the installation
finished unsuccessfully.  I'm booting off of the Kern.flp images I put
onto floppy in DOS.
after which I stick in the mfsroot.flp floppy, which also goes well.  go
through the entire
routine, but I can't get it to recognize that the files are in
c:\freebsd\*.. What Do I DO??

Somebody Please help me..  I've been at this for about 17 hours now, and
I cannot go
to sleep until I make SOME progress..

BTW, anybody that mentions that I need to somehow place the boot.flp
image (which is
clearly 2,880K) onto a 1.44M Floppy gets the pleasure of explaining to
me how to do this
magic trick, as I've tried several times with no luck (yes, downloaded
in Binary mode)

BTW, part 2, anybody that tells me that I am supposed to use the
setup.exe that is in the
archive, gets to draw me a map because I've been through the entire
archive searching for
it and cannot find it to save my life. (setup.exe that I'm referring to
is mentioned in the
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.1-RELEASE/tools/00_index.txt (dated
from 09/02/97,
but tried anyway)

Ok, whomever solves this for me will earn my eternal gratitude.

Cheers,
Andrew S Harris

http://www.britannia.org                     Always Practice Safe
Government,