Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 02:55:25 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fwmiller@cs.UMD.EDU
Subject:   Re: kernel performance

>For lack of a better place to start, I chose this mailing list.
>
>I am curious if there are any performance monitoring facilities built
>into the kernel.

Start with `apropos performance monitoring features built into the kernel'.
This gives among other things:

perfmon(4)               - CPU performance-monitoring interface
gprof(1)                 - display call graph profile data
kernbb(8)                - generate a dump of the kernels basic-block profile buffers
kgmon(8)                 - generate a dump of the operating system's profile buffers

kgmon is the most relevant.  It only matched the keyword `the' in the
above apropos command :-).

Bruce