Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 12:43:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to improve mutex collision performance

:What John's patch does is spin while the lock owner is running on another cpu.
:Spinning while there are no other processes on the run queues as well makes sense
:but you'll also be doing a lot of acquires and releases of sched_lock.
:
:The only thing that jumped out at me looking at the patch is that critnest cannot
:be 0 here because the sched_lock is held; holding a spin lock implies being in a
:critical section.  I need to think about this more and would like you to wait until
:John has a chance to look at it as well.
:
:Jake

    Sure thing.  Ah, critnest... you are right.  I should be checking for
    critnest > 1.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>