Date:      15 Nov 2002 13:16:55 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: Seeking command similar to dd

Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> writes:

> Is there a command similar to "dd" to analyze a CD that is in the drive?

I use the "dd bs=2k" command on ISO 9660 CDs.

> I used mkisofs the other day, then burncd (forgot to say "fixate" on the
> end of the command line though), and now I cannot mount this CD.  Ideas?

I'm fairly sure that you can successfully run "burncd fixate" just after
running "burncd data ...", but I don't know what can be done in between
without messing things up.  I don't know if the drive has "memory" which
gets used in the fixate process or if it's something that can be done
from scratch at any time after burning the data.  (I've even had
occasional success restarting a burn that bailed out mid-CD.  Sadly,
I can't get my burner to burn or even mount CDs reliably lately.  New
kernel didn't help.  Guess I'll have to install Linux and see if it can
drive the thing any better.)

When "analyzing" CDs, know that "burncd" usually puts an extra 2k block
on the CD, so that a raw "diff" won't work.  I think I've posted my
CD-diffing script here already; ask me if you'd like it.