Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2007 21:03:15 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        AN <andy@neu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java install problem

AN wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed the 2 packages from the
> freebsdfoundation.org website, diablo-jre-freebsd6.i386.1.5.0.07.01.tbz
> and diablo-jdk-freebsd6.i386.1.5.0.07.01.tbz.  However, when I restart
> Seamonkey or Firefox Java is not enabled.
>
> There were no messages after the packages installed indicating any more
> steps were necessary for configuration.  Maybe some links need to be
> created that were not done in the install?  I thought these packages
> were just supposed to work.

Disclaimer:  IANAE, but I do have Java running ATM with Seamonkey.

Do you have
/usr/local/diablo-jdk1.5.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so ?
Or something similar?

If so, make a link to it in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/ and restart
the browser.  Worked for me; although, I had done this previously and
somehow "lost" the installation during a recent portupgrade.  I'm pretty
sure there's some magic in /etc/libmap.conf, also, but I think the port
is supposed to do that for you....

Kevin Kinsey
--
Whatever became of eternal truth?