Date:      Fri, 03 Mar 1995 20:49:45 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        FreeBSD Mail <freebsd@mortar.mailback.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, mark@grunt.grondar.za
Subject:   Re: Config broken in -current? (fwd)

> > cd /usr/src
> > make includes
>
> Creates incorrect links in /usr/include for machine, net*, nfs, sys, ufs, vm
> Thought you'd like to know.

NO! It creates links to includes that are far evolved from the ones you are
currently using.

> > cd /usr/src/usr.sbin
> > make cleandir obj depend all install
[snip snip]

> pkg_manage.o: Undefined symbol `_use_helpfile' referenced from text
> segment
> pkg_manage.o: More undefined symbol _use_helpline refs follow
> pkg_manage.o: More undefined symbol _use_helpfile refs follow
> pkg_manage.o: Undefined symbol `_dialog_fselect' referenced from text
> segment
> *** Error code 1

Because you are making such a big change, _you_ need to follow all these up.
Remember that the code you are compiling is not compatible with the code you
are compiling with. In this case, (and the many others like it that will
follow), hunt down the library that (now) has the missing symbols and rebuild
it by hand. The whole exercise is a train smash, it is not fun and it is not
for the faint at heart.

In some cases you will have to (by hand):
a) rebuild libraries
b) rebuild utilities
c) grovel through source code to find out what the $#@! is going on.

Remember that a _bunch_ of us have -current systems, but we all are
compiling _on_ current. This does not mean we do not get burnt. When
it happens, sleuth it down, fix it by hand, and if it was a bug, report
it to bugs@...

When in doubt, also remember what -current is _for_. It is not to get the
latest-and-greatest. It is to beta-test and _hack_ on, which implies you
know enough about source code to do one or the other (or both).

Good Luck!

In this case you need to rebuild the gnu libraries (I think this one is
libdialog). It will not hurt to build them all. It may not work first time,
as some utilities need to be built first, which need some libraries...

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200