Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2020 14:15:53 -0500
From:      Adam Peace <adam.e.peace@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   mlx5en - PTYS reg - eth_proto_oper bit 19 not defined

Hello,

I'm using the mlx5en driver that's in the FreeBSD 11.3 tree for a Mellanox
ConnectX-4 ethernet card on an Azure VM.

The problem that I'm seeing is that the value being retrieved from the PTYS
register for eth_proto_oper is 0x80000, which is bit 19 of the field, but a
value for bit 19 is not defined in the mlx5e_link_speed enum. This causes
the driver to not find an entry in the mlx5e_mode_table and the
media.subtype and media.baudrate are not set. This does not stop the
mlx5en.ko module from loading, but network connectivity is affected.

It seems that this enum is phased out in the upstream Linux driver, but
it's not clear to me how the replacement method works. Is this a known
issue? It seems that FreeBSD 12.1 and master still use the method that's
used in 11.3. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks for your help,
Adam Peace