Date:      Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:52:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certified software (was: WordPerfect 8 for Linux)

> >o	Can be made to run with effort
> >
> >	This is the "publicity" tool, where anything that can be made
> >	to run, painfully, or as a result of a downloading install
> >	stuff from some other unknown place gets "branded".
>
> I don't like this as a brand.

Neither do I.  But the point was FreeBSD advocacy, so in addition
to the two "useful to the users" brandings, there is probably a
need, at least in the context of this discussion, for a branding
whose intention is to advocate FreeBSD, where that goal is ahead
of the goal of telling users anything useful other than "get
FreeBSD".

I don't personally buy into this theme, but since it was one of
the main impetus for the branding discussion in the first place,
I thought that I'd be remiss to not include it.

The reason I suggested differences in treatment for this brand
is that it lacks utility for your average consumer, compared
to the other two marks.  For the other two marks to be useful,
they have to be distinct, rigidly controlled, and visually
different from the advocacy brand.

> There has been the idea that any of these brands could go on a shrink wrap
> product. I don't think "half works" of "half broke" should go on anything
> with the name FreeBSD.

Well, take it up with the "can be made to work with FreeBSD with
effort" branding advocacy.

> FreeBSD goes out of it's way to dissuade people from running -current
> unless they are developers. Stuff that requires "painful" work is in the
> realm of developer's level of skill.

Actually, FreeBSD goes out of it's way to avoid supporting -current,
which is a slightly different thing, albeit with similar results.

> We should approach neither vendors nor potential customers with
> developmental software.

There are two different goals to this discussion, and I don't
think they are on the same axis.

One is a consumer confidence goal, and the other is a marketing
exposure goal.

The "best" brand for marketing exposure is one that's pervasive
in the target market.

The "best" brand for consumer confidence is one that guarantees
a maximum pain threshold which will not be exceeded, for the
consumer.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---