Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:02:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Robert D. Keys" <bsdbob@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        cyouse@artemis.syncom.net (Charles Youse)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS/2 MCA Model 80 port --- (don't laugh too hard)

> Actually, that wouldn't be terribly hard -- I remember modifying
> system-level code to run on MCA 286 machines.  In a nutshell, the
> differences are numerous but largely minor (e.g., the 8259s needs to run
> in level-triggered mode as opposed to edge).  These differences between
> ISA and MCA are enough to keep a stock kernel from running [properly]
> but shouldn't be prohibitive to change.

Yes, most of that can be gleaned from some linux and minix patches
and a few snippets of old PS/2 BSD code that I found.  I am thinking
that it may not be all that difficult after all, at least for a simple
scsi port and the 3com 3c523 ethernet card.

> I think I have an MCA 386SX machine sitting around somewhere.  Want to
> give it a whirl?

Yes....  Which model?  The only thing I like is the model 80....a rugged
dinosaur, but good for a single user workstation or ftp archive box.

Bob Keys
rdkeys@seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu...... last of the ps2 freaks......(:+{{.....