Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:57:46 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        "Darrin R. Woods" <dwoods@netgazer.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND question

Darrin R. Woods wrote:

> We seem to be having a problem with some of the websites that we host not
> having a 'dns entry'.

	It's virtually impossible to debug DNS problems without knowing the
hostnames you're having problems with, and the names/addresses of your
dns'.

> The problem only seems to be certain sites and only from certain ISPs.  I
> have tried setting my nslookup server

	Nslookup is not really a good diagnostic tool for dns problems.

> We are running BIND 8.1 on FBSD systems.

	I hope you mean 8.1.1?

> I am running out of ideas and
> customers are getting pissed because people from some large ISPs can't get
> to their website.

	Understandable. Try providing more details and we'll try to help. My
first suggestion would be that there is probably an error in the zone
file(s) for the domains you're having problems with. Try upping the
serial number on one of those zones, and doing 'kill -1 <named's pid
here> ; tail -f /var/log/named.log'. This should show you where the
error is. If you don't see the error doing it that way, try tail'ing the
log in one window and -hup'ing in another.

Good luck,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest