Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:14:46 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Garance A Drosehn <drosihn@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ** HEADS UP ** DO NOT UPDATE and 'make world' YOUR SPARCS

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 06:46:41PM -0400, Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, David O'Brien <obrien@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > I've hit an issue that I suspect can render your machine useless if you
> > install a new binutils.
> >
> > I suggest not installing a new userland world until you see the "ALL
> > CLEAR".
>
> So, is it safe to do a new buildworld/installworld after the fixes
> that were recently committed by Thomas?

It was safe to do a new buildworld/installworld after I committed the
patch to work around the issue on 2004-06-19.  Thomas's commit did not
change the state of "safeness", but allowed me to later remove the work
around.

> I "rushed" (*) a sparc64
> buildworld together as soon as I saw that commit, but the new kernel
> panic'ed when I tried to boot into it.  So, I didn't even get far
> enough to install the new userland.

This is not a problem I saw with the unpatched Binutils.  You probably
have another bug causing the panic.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)