Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:07:16 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        mauzi@poli.hu
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OFFTOPIC] alt. C compiler

In <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001041924200.30369-100000@aquarius.poli.hu>, Gergely EGERVARY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any alternative (non-commercial) C compiler to use, or is gcc the
> best?
>
> I have just upgraded my system to -current w/egcs 2.95.2 and I have
> several problems with it, especially when using optimizations (-O2 and
> such)

Others already said that replacing the system compiler will be
difficult.

However, you should be able to use any FreeBSD include file that is
supposed to be used by userlevel code with any ANSI C conforming
compiler. People like Bruce Evans once took great care to guarantee
that. It seems this has gone under the wheel by less careful
committers since around 3.0, but the goal is nontheless to keep this
capability. If you have examples where it breaks, send them to me,
please.

You will not be able to use all features of FreeBSD, of course.
Calling functions that take long long arguments doesn't work, these
should be masked out when compiling struct ansi code. It may get
painful quickly, as such basic things like seek() are amoung them.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/