Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:37:35 -0800
From:      Peter Haight <peterh@wartch.rih.org>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What kind of serial card should I use with ISDN and FreeBSD

>This is a response to a question not specific to FreeBSD or ISDN, but is more
>about connecting high-speed serial devices (in gerneral) to PCs.

True, but I was also asking whether there would be any problems with using a
16750 UART with FreeBSD. I'm guessing that the speedup is transparent to the
OS, but I want to confirm.

For example, I'm not sure whether ppp will work at a set speed of 230400. I
tried it, but when I sent the AT command that forced the modem to 230400
speed, I was unable to communicate with it any more. I'm assuming that this
is because it is ridiculous to ask a 16450 to do that.

> You need one to get your money's worth out of your ISDN line. Get one, but
>shop around. If you had bought an internal TA, it would have had it's own UART
>built in. If you bought an ISDN router, you could have just plugged the thing
>into your favorite ethernet port and you'd be practically up and running. You
>took the hard way, and now you have to worry about adding a serial card with
>all of the address line/IRQ/DMA problems associated with it. I hope your 486
>is cooperative, though you will likely get it working without unreasonable
>pains.

Of course, there are few, if any, internal TAs supported by FreeBSD and they
are all way more expensive than the modem I bought as part of a package deal
with the ISDN line. Of course routers are the most expensive option. My
parents have a Cisco ISDN  router which was a pain in the rear to setup
because we wanted to use it with two different ISPs (one for work and one for
recreation) and it doesn't seem like it was really designed to do that.

I think the serial ISDN modem is nice. It was really easy to setup and after
buying the serial card it will have only run me $150.