Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:44:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>, Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, <postmaster@daimi.au.dk>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VIRUS IN YOUR MAIL

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> IMHO, it's a good idea, when a worm has been broadcast to a list, to
> inform the members of that list. In my personal experience, this has
> saved a lot of people from being infected. YMMV, but I don't think that
> the scanner's behavior was inappropriate.
>
> --Brett

I'd agree if it was coming from an "official" source, like the FreeBSD.ORG
mail server - however as it is now, any random mail server admin could set
it up and start sending out these auto-responses. Sure it's just one or
two a day now, but as the idea catches on it'll reach USENET-cancel-level
proportions.