Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2012 16:15:29 +0100
From:      John Marino <netbsd@marino.st>
To:        Martin <martin.kelly4000@gmail.com>
Cc:        users@dragonflybsd.org, misc@openbsd.org, netbsd-users@netbsd.org, Aleksej Saushev <asau@inbox.ru>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Unified BSD?
References:  <CAOc%2B9seWtWaw=bx%2BKwjKXjULArijgcvbDR1gi_J%2BSQkFfsHTCA@mail.gmail.com> <CAHKF-AuR4mU_CYj%2BD0nTe=hsja7MGemvx%2BSDi-692n5d0Tau4Q@mail.gmail.com> <1352882728.28075.140661153435965.302F0E4C@webmail.messagingengine.com> <CALHSF8v8juYAXdinL9tVzz98aJP2TZgOsuAQr4bWkaBm0TCMnQ@mail.gmail.com> <87a9tw5qju.fsf@inbox.ru> <CALHSF8tZAcNAmNyFbrUhAHNKCzGnescpasjAUmkXfmD1djyq9Q@mail.gmail.com> <CALHSF8sLQvuROh_4Hsi2FKyEuRmg8Jv_u-X_rSRWD6h5MiaOLA@mail.gmail.com> <87wqwyuyxb.fsf@inbox.ru> <50BDAE0C.90303@marino.st> <CALHSF8vAJ=PUC_a9UXwQR5qWN7KeZwiGWQXqoCsJAOQeu%2BO8sg@mail.gmail.com> <CALHSF8t5YaMh34FPs-hVy=QKNF2YaFbVhM%2BgNr3bvObgSn9miw@mail.gmail.com>

On 12/4/2012 16:07, Martin wrote:
> Sorry forget that last message.
>
> GNOME was a bad example, but you did in essence you clarify my point.
> That FreeBSD or whichever one you talk about may or may not be using a
> different pkgsrc branch.
>
> I didn't call any components standardized, i said even if you _*were*_
> to standardize certain components for all BSDs (related to package
> management/ source) you still would have to get around the fact that
> each of them may use a different pkgsrc branch.
>
> Otherwise you wouldn't have the current differences in software
> compatibility where FreeBSD has what (28000 packages?) and NetBSD has
> (15000?)

The package count of the two systems is basically affected by lifespan
(ports existed first) and manpower, so don't read into this.

Ports has about 24000 unique packages, pkgsrc has around 10,800 unique
packages (about 2000 are duplicated with multiple python, ruby, php
combinations).

The user has the option to stay on the branch suggested at the time of
the release, or can migrate as he/she wants.  In the case of DragonFly,
it was catching up with fixing broken packages for a long time, so
migrating to newest quarterly is generally recommended.

I would say pkgsrc serves to standardize the systems that use it.  I
could install pkgsrc on OpenIndiana as an example and use the same
software on that platform.

John