Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 21:45:16 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Heiko Blume <src@NS.Contrib.Com>, john@ulantris.infinop.com, bill@twwells.com, stable@freebsd.org, bde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adaptec disk controllers and 2.1-RELEASE

>>putc to a clist with no reserved cblocks
>>putc to a clist with no reserved cblocks
>>putc to a clist with no reserved cblocks
>>putc to a clist with no reserved cblocks
>>
>>btw, what are those last four ones? never seen
>>before.
>
>I don't know.  I think that DavidG wrote our clist code??

   Yes, I wrote it. Bruce revamped/extended the clist reservation code,
however - the reservation stuff I originally wrote was far too inadequate
for the job. I haven't seen the above diagnostic for probably close to a
year, and I'm surprised to see it pop up now. There haven't been any changes
to the code involved in this for a long time (>6 months), so it seems likely
that the problem is exposed by a change in activity on that system rather
than by a code change.
   The diagnostic message is generally not a problem, but it does indicate
a software problem that is most likely related to doing serial I/O to a
port after it has been closed. ...this kind of problem generally falls into
Bruce's domain. Bruce?

-DG

David Greenman