Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 00:36:34 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        David Feustel <feustel@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for Strongarm?

In message <362A402D.BBB2DD30@ix.netcom.com> David Feustel writes:
: Any chance of a StrongARM port for FreeBSD?

Yes.  If someone does it :-)

: How much x86-specific code is in FreeBSD?

It varies.  In places it is completely OS neutral, and even 64 bit
clean.  In others there are grotty little i386isms that dog your every
step.  If you were trying to build a userland version of
FreeBSD/StrongARM, in a cross compiler environment, I'd guess that it
would take about 2-6 weeks of effort, depending on how cross the cross
environment is.  It would also help if you used a *BSD/StrongARM
kernel + FreeBSD userland.  This worked well with the Alpha port, plus
at least one other port that is still in the development stages.

As for the kernel, I don't know much about StrongARM, so I can't say
on that.  I once estimated the kernel porting time to a MIPS machine
to be on the order of 3 man months, give or take, but that was before
the alpha stuff went into the kernel.  It would likely take less now,
assuming that the StrongARM has a decent MMU or MMU-like thing.

Warner