Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2002 07:27:07 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/group upgrade question 4.5-4.6

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 10:01:11PM -0400, Jim Freeze wrote:

> I am upgrading to 4.6 stable and came across a note in 19.4.3 of
> the handbook that I should add any missing groups from /usr/src/etc/group
> to /etc/group.
>
> A diff shows the following:
>
> < www:*:80:
> ---
> > www:*:1010:

> Should I worry about changing my www group number from 1010 to 80?
> If I change the number, will I then have to do a search with find
> and update all my www group files?

So long as the group exists, your system should run fine, no matter
what the GID happens to be.  However you may find that it's neater and
easier to keep your system as much like the default install as
possible.

> If so, would the find command look like this after
> I update the gid in /etc/group?
>
>   find / -group www -exec chgrp www {} \;

Before or after changing the GID of the www group from 1010 to 80,
this command will correctly update the group ownership of all your WWW
files:

    find / -group 1010 -print0 | xargs -0 chgrp 80

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK