Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 09:13:36 +0200 (MEST)
From:      fabio.f@gmx.de
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   still problems with the sound.

Hello everybody!
I have the soundcard ESS 1869 PnP ISA. Windows configured my sound card as
ESS1869 PnP ISA 0x220-0x2bf,0x331-0x33b
irq 5 drq 1,0. Dmesg | grep pcm gives the same back after reinstalling the
kernel with device pcm and device sbc (options PNPBIOS in the kernel
failed):
pcm0:<ESS 18xx dsp> on sbc0. And Dmesg | grep sbc: sbc0:<ESS 1869>
0x220-0x2bf,0x331-0x33b irq 5 drq 1,0 on isa0. Command sh MAKEDEV snd0 &1
gave no pcm0
back. And there's no sound to hear. How can I direct the /dev/dsp to
/dev/Null, when problems occuring and I still want to run Applications which rely on
sound? On the Debian Linux "Installation howto", it is said that you need to
reinstall the kernel with the soundmodul, but also to install a sound driver
"OSS" and the PnP configuring tool "isapnp". Why freebsd doesn't need that?
What is the sound drivers name in FreeBSD and how do I configure PnP?
PKG_Info | less is good for knowing what is installed and pkg_info 'Name*'
for a little description, BUT Where can I find a file, where is explicit
explained the STARTING COMMAND.
To install from the port, does it mean I have to copy the source from CD to
/usr/ports/distfiles and then type command make install?
Why can't /stand/sysinstall not install the 3.3.6.10 package from the 4th
cd. you told me to install it from the first CD. Once again, the applications
on the 4th CD need XFree86 3.3.6.10 and not XFree86 3.3.6.9 from the first CD.
When I try to start an audio CD in GNOME with the GNOME-CD-Player, before I
mount it on /cdrom, it failed with "no RockRidge 9660" or something like
that. What went wrong?
Greetings from Berlin, Germany
Fabio

http://www.gmx.net