Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 13:23:21 -0500
From:      John Lengeling <johnl@raccoon.com>
To:        Ant Clifford <aec@dcs.ed.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting freebsd

Everything you need is under
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE.  The various software
distributions are in sub directories under here (I.E.: bin, XF86333,
doc, ...)  The boot floppies are under the floppies directory and the
utilities to create the floppies are under the tools directory.

If you want the easiest install, purchase the CDROM and do a CDROM
install.  Proceeds help the FreeBSD organization.  It is also the
fastest installation.

The next easiest install is to do an FTP install over the Internet.  All
you need are the 2 boot floppies
(/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/floppies/kern.flp and
/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/floppies/mfsroot.flp)  Follow the instructions
on how to get started from www.freebsd.org.  If you have a slow dialup
connection, just do a minimal installation.  This will get you started
and you can always download additional distribution packages after the
install.

I have also done minimal installs using the boot floppies and a copy of
everything in the 3.2-RELEASE/bin directory located on a spare MS-DOS
partition.  I think you could even to place the bin files on a floppy.

Is that what you wanted?

johnl