Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:52:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher G. Petrilli" <petrilli@dworkin.amber.org>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Atipa wrote:

> The P2 will smoke it. Better yet, go up to 350 or 400MHz, then you can
> utilize 100MHz system bus.

This is a red herring... the system bus was a big restriction back when
the cache was running at bus speed---any increment made a huge
difference, but with the current PII architecture, the bus speed has
long since ceased to be a problem.  How many devices do you know that
can saturate a PCI bus constitently?  Don't use this as a reasoning.

> Since the P2 has DIB (dual independent bus) for the L2 cache, higher clock
> rates, and much faster DRAM access, you'll definitely notice the
> difference. Pros are at the end of their lifecycle, and will be hard to
> support.

The PROs will be faster ata given clock speed, and with the cache
architecture of the Pros, probably at 50% above that, given a normal
model of execution (80-90% cache hit rate).  Remember, that you can get
PPros with 512K or 1Mb of L2 cache that is running 1:1 with the chip,
rather than 2:1.

The big problem in most systems in my view (having been responsible for
system optimization of mainframes and large UNIX boxes) is never the
CPU---unless you're doing scientific applications, then it's usually
memory---it's almost always I/O bandwidth.  A faster disk, more memory
for caching, more SCSI busses, etc, will make a BIG impact on your
overal system throughput---which is a much better measure than
"boboMIPS" :-)  Just cuz you're CPU can spin faster, doesn't mean it
doesn't do anything useful during those cycles.

Chris