Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:40:15 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Stephen Derdau <sderdau@ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD .org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NAT , I think :-) , I hope

On Thu, Nov 12, 1998 at 05:54:51PM -0500, Stephen Derdau wrote:
> I'm trying to determine a problem which I believe
> has something to do with NAT.
>
> What's happening is connections are being cut off
> or dropped sporadically during the day.
>
> Is there a setting or something in NAT that can
> be adjusted...My hunch is that the connections could
> be timed out .  All 20-30 connections are running
> through the same system.....
>
> Any pointers suggestions appreciated.
> I'm searching the net and also FreeBSD.org's search
> page. Hoping to find something that will give me a clue !
> :-)
>
> Thanks !1!

According to libalias(3), section A.2:

* A.2 Static and Dynamic Links
*   Aliasing links can either be static or dynamic.  Static links persist in-
*   definitely and represent fixed rules for translating IP packets.  Dynamic
*   links come into existence for a specific TCP connection or UDP transac-
*   tion or ICMP echo sequence.  For the case of TCP, the connection can be
*   monitored to see when the associated aliasing link should be deleted.
*   Aliasing links for UDP transactions (and ICMP echo and timestamp re-
*   quests) work on a simple timeout rule.  When no activity is observed on a
*   dynamic link for a certain amount of time it is automatically deleted.
*   Timeout rules also apply to TCP connections which do not open or close
*   properly.

Timeout values are defined as follows:

#define ICMP_EXPIRE_TIME             60
#define UDP_EXPIRE_TIME              60