Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:45:55 -0700
From:      Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@NUXI.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

Just as a flip-side to this ordeal...

I let someone borrow my USENIX NetBSD 1.4 CDROM so when I brought a SS%
bhome from the office two weeks ago I had to do some sort of net
install. After fumbling over which boot floppy to use I got sysinst
floppy to boot and it worked great. Did a complete ftp install in no
time. IMHO It was a bit on the crude side compared to sysinstall on
FreeBSD but it totally did the job.

Now if i can just get windowmaker to stop core-dumping on me .... :)

-Bill

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 12:53:07PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > I'm wondering, did you run the `sysinst' screen-menu installer?
>
> I was not able to get to any form of installer on the Sparc. :-(
> I was simply unable to boot with any of the CDROM or floppy options
> available.
>
> When I asked on the NetBSD newsgroup, a NetBSD guy admitted things were
> rather messed up and suggested to try the 1.4.1 installation when it
> became available.
>
> > I think that NetBSD/sparc is actually supposed to be installed with the
> > script-based installer, which WAS shipped with the release.
>
> I may have missed it, and it has been awhile, but I think I tried three
> different floppies.  IMHO, the NetBSD docs INSTALL need the 1st few pages
> nixed and get to the real meat (if I am reading that doc, I don't need
> the list of mirrors, etc..).  I also found numerious stuff out of date
> and missing on the pmax install docs.  I didn't get far enough on the
> Sparc to tell about those.
>

> > However, I'm not sure that the borked sparc installer merits that crude
> > put-down of the entire release.
>
> I was unable to install it on three machines.  I have 7 years
> SunOS/Solaris admin experierence, so I'n only a partical-dumby.  I got
> OpenBSD installed easily on the Sparc, so I don't know what to say.
>
> --
> -- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)

-=| --- B i l l   S w i n g l e --- http://www.dub.net/
-=| unfurl@dub.net  - unfurl@freebsd.org - bill@cdrom.com
-=| Different all twisty a of in maze are you, passages little