Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 20:05:10 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@gerpa.ru>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   questions about file locking and memory usage

Hello!
I'll try my luck again and see if someone finds time to
answer them. I am sure many people know answers
for these questions.

1) Memory usage by programs

C source :
main () {
    while(1);
}

as you see, it does nothing, nor it uses any libraries. ust an
empty look. As top says SIZE: 408K, RSS: 207K
207K for an empty look??? And why total size is 408? What's
wrong? I am using 3.1 and compile with cc.

2) How do i lock file reliably w/o depending whether it is on local
FS or NFS.

flock does not work on NFS as i know, .lock locking made in a
normal simple way does not work either. What wouold be the
corrent and reliable way?

3) Code sharing
When i am runnning 15 perl scripts i am sure that some part
of code is shared among them, but top does not tell me which
part is shared. Is there any way to get this info?

Artem Koutchine (Артем Кучин)
Sys/Net/Web Admin, Web Designer, Programmer
WWW: http://idesign.pp.ru E-Mail: matrix@chat.ru
No attachments w/o my permission!!!
(Не присылайте файлы  без разрешения!!!)