Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 09:30:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
Cc:        asmodai@wxs.nl, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS help needed

On 26-Feb-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
> Conrad Sabatier wrote,
>> I'm running mountd with the flags "-l -r -n", and nfsd with the flags
>> "-r -u -t -n 4".
>    ^^
>>From 'man nfsd,'
>
>      -r      Register the NFS service with portmap(8) without creating
> any
>              servers.  This option can be used along with the -u or -t
> options
>              to re-register NFS if the portmap server is restarted.
>
> I stress the words "without creating any servers." Are there any
> servers running on your system? What does,
>
> % ps aux | grep nfsd
>
> Return?

Ah!  You're right!  You know, when I first started trying to play with NFS,
I was getting "program not registered" RPC errors, so I thought using the
-r flag might help.  Didn't even notice I wasn't starting up any servers!
I mistakenly assumed the 4 nfsiod's I saw in ps were all I needed.  Duh!

Thanks so much!

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>

There is nothing wrong with Southern California that a rise in the
ocean level wouldn't cure.
                -- Ross MacDonald