Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 20:39:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Mike Jeays <mj001@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: List etiquette

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, Dan Nelson wrote:
> Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:38:37 -0600
> Subject: Re: List etiquette
>
> In the last episode (Dec 22), Mike Jeays said:
> > Many times I have asked questions on this list, and had helpful
> > replies from one or more people.  My usual practice is to reply to
> > them directly and thank them, and tell them whether their idea
> > helped.  This avoids cluttering up the list with "thank-you"
> > messages, but may look as though I haven't bothered to even listen.
> >
> > Should one post such replies to the list?
>
> It's a good idea, so that people reading the thread later have
> confirmation that the suggestion actually was the correct solution.

Agreed - by having a solution confirmation in the archives of this list,
it makes searching the archives a little easier and more believable. Not
that I minded the private 'danke' :)

> > Secondly, an occasional question goes unanswered - perhaps because no
> > one thought it was interesting enough to reply. Is it acceptable to
> > post it again after a few days?
>
> I'd wait a week before reposting, and then try to ask the question a
> different way, or provide more info.

Ocassionally there will be no response because nobody knows the answer
*or* it's been answered ad nauseum in the archives. Re-posting with an
update, however, does keep the archives up to date.

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg