Date:      Sun, 2 May 2004 08:43:21 +0800
From:      Robert Storey <y2kbug@ms25.hinet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Not Making Friendly

The setting to make the CDROM the default boot device is in the BIOS. When =
you
first start the computer there should be some message on the screen telling=
 you
how to access the BIOS setup program (usually, just holding down the "delet=
e"
key will do it, but some machines use "F1" or whatever). Once you're in the=
 BIOS
setup program, change the boot order so that the CDROM drive is the first d=
evice
to boot.

That ought to do it, but one other thing to check is to make sure that the =
BIOS
doesn't have some "anti-virus" setting enabled that will prevent you from b=
eing
able to write the MBR - othewise, you won't be able to install the boot loa=
der.

regards,
Robert