Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2000 16:36:55 -0400
From:      Kevin Gross <gross.4@wright.edu>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   troubles with SBLive on 4.0-stable

Hi,

I'm running FreeBSD 4.0-Stable and having some troubles with my SBLive
(emu10k1) sound card.  First off,

uname -a

FreeBSD quantum.gross.144 4.0-STABLE FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0: Thu Jun 15
16:30:03 EDT 2000
root@quantum.gross.144:/usr/src/sys/compile/QUANTUM_new  i386

I am pretty sure I've followed directions on getting this card to work.

My kernel configuration file contains the necessary devices:

cat /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/QUANTUM_new |grep pc
device          pci
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device pcm

I performed a /dev/MAKEDEV snd0 and have, among other things, the
following in /dev

sndstat
pcaudio

A cat of sndstat results in

cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jun 15 2000 16:29:16
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xb400 irq 11 (1p/0r channels duplex)

I rebooted my machine after performing the MAKEDEV.

Here is the appropriate info from dmesg:

pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xb400-0xb41f irq 11 at device 12.0 on
pci0
pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x1102, dev=0x7002) at 12.1

If it makes any difference, I am running an SMP kernel on a dual PII
motherboard.

When I try to play a sound file, I get nothing.  However, the audio
software does not complain about anythnig being wrong. For instance,
mpg123 doesn't produce any sound output when playing an mp3:

mpg123 -v /tmp/thebends.mp3
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layer 1, 2 and 3.
Version 0.59r (1999/Jun/15). Written and copyrights by Michael Hipp.
Uses code from various people. See 'README' for more!
THIS SOFTWARE COMES WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Title  : The Bends                       Artist: Radiohead
Album  : The Bends                       Year  : 3/16
Comment: , AG# 2437A0E3                  Genre : Progressive Rock

Directory: /tmp/
Playing MPEG stream from thebends.mp3 ...
MPEG 1.0, Layer: III, Freq: 44100, mode: Joint-Stereo, modext: 0, BPF :
417
Channels: 2, copyright: No, original: Yes, CRC: No, emphasis: 0.
Bitrate: 128 Kbits/s, Extension value: 0
Audio: 1:1 conversion, rate: 44100, encoding: signed 16 bit, channels: 2
Frame#   444 [ 8959], Time: 00:11.59 [03:54.03],

I also tried playing mp3's via kmp3 and xmms to no avail; neither
complained about incorrect settings yet output no sound.

Being relatively new to FreeBSD, I'm not sure of how sound is handled.
Is there a simple way to test for proper sound setup at a more basic
level than say playing an mp3?  Is there any more information I should
supply to help in diagnosing the problem?

Thanks,

Kevin Gross

PS  I did double-check the wiring.  My sound card is correctly hooked up
to my speakers and the volume dial is set appropriately.