Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:34:12 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Hass" <dhass@imagestream.com>
Cc:        "Jim Bryant" <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, "MurrayTaylor" <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Alfred Shippen" <ashippen@metromatics.com.au>
Subject:   RE: FYI

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Doug Hass [mailto:dhass@imagestream.com]
>Sent: Monday, October 15, 2001 6:53 AM
>To: Ted Mittelstaedt
>Cc: Jim Bryant; MurrayTaylor; freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG;
>freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG; Alfred Shippen
>Subject: RE: FYI

Hi Doug,

  I'm going to address myself to these points openly as there's some points
here which we all need to be familiar with.

>We are bound by third party agreements and are not allowed to release any
>more free code (legally) than we already have.  If we were not restricted
>by SBS, Trillium, and Rockwell (among others), we would release all of the
>code under GPL or lGPL.  These agreements do NOT prevent us from working
>with developers to support other platforms, though.  It only prevents the
>free release of portions of the code.

You said in a mail to Leo, the following:

"Unfortunately, the API to the cards (the driver development kit, hardware
programming specifications or whatever you want to call them) are licensed
from several third parties and we are bound by agreement not to make them
public."

I'm going to assume that the programming specs you refer to here are what
is being licensed from SBS, Trillium, and Rockwell, because either Rockwell
or Trillium is the actual manufacturer of the sync chip.  I'll assume that
SBS is just making the support chips on the board and the interface chips to
the PCI bus.

Now, let me discuss for a moment how the current Imagestream WAN drivers
operate.
(based on my reading of the public code, which of course may be incorrect)
Please feel free to interject where you feel I'm full of crap. :-)

The "hardware API" or the actual register interface code, is a binary-only
module that is "snapped in" to SAND.  SAND is GPL and is similar to the
FreeBSD Netgraph module - it provides all the higher-level protocol stuff,
like
Frame Relay, PPP, HDLC, and such.  SAND goes between the OS TCP/IP stack and
that binary only module.

Imagestream has no problem releasing SAND for public consumption basically
because all that PPP/HDLC/Frame and other datalink code is already available,
PPP code has been available for time out of mind from many places, (including
BSD) long before Imagestream ever wrote SAND, and Cisco HDLC was
reverse-engineered
some time ago (Besides that, Cisco gave up trying to hide their HDLC interface
once Wellfleet/Bay Networks died)  Obviously, Imagestream had to do some work,
but I'd say a lot of it was in the area of supporting these binary snap
in modules.

The reason that Imagestream went this road is that like Doug said, all those
hardware vendors like Rockwell think that
there's something valuable in a pure register interface spec publication for
their products.  So, this way Imagestream can sign their souls away to get
access to that interface spec - but they isolate all that contaminated code
in this binary snap-in module.  It's a hack of a solution but unfortunately
is getting more and more common under UNIX because the Linux people have
caved in and are busily screwing their own principles of GPL, by soliciting
ever greater amounts of closed-source, Linux code.  Imagestream isn't
the only one out there doing this.

Now, you can make all the technical arguments you want about how a modularized
development environment like this allows code reuse and this is quite
true - but you must keep in mind that SAND's modularized development has
a primary goal of being able to keep the contaminated code in the driver
snap-in modules, code reuse is secondary.  There's other modularized
driver development models in which EVERYTHING is publically available
including the modules.

>That being said, we're always interested in supporting a wide variety of
>platforms.  Without the SAND architecture, though, there really is little
>hope of having FreeBSD support for the WANic 520 series cards (or other
>cards, for that matter).

This is correct and incorrect.

It's correct because what Imagestream wants to have to be able to easily
graft in FreeBSD to their supported UNIX os's is SAND - if done right then
the actual driver module itself would have trivial changes whether used on
FreeBSD or Linux, so you don't have to do much other than keep SAND
maintained in FreeBSD.

It's incorrect because it's perfectly possible to write a monolithic
driver under FreeBSD that's only available as an object module and
instead links in to the FreeBSD answer to SAND - which is Netgraph.
This is exactly how the WANic 400 driver is now. (except of course
the WANic 4xx driver is source available)

Of course, this object module will have to be recompiled for every
new version of FreeBSD, because it has to either be mod-loaded into
the kernel or statically compiled into it.  It's a rather icky
proposition for a company like Imagestream to contemplate from a
support perspective.  But it certainly is NOT impossible.

>If there are developers in the community
>interested in porting SAND and the various hardware modules (for the 520
>series and other cards) to FreeBSD, we'll be happy to work with them and
>support that effort.  It is in ALL of our interests to have the widest
>support for standards-based technologies as possible.

But you see that in this area SAND is no more standard than Netgraph is.
SAND provides Linux users that run WANic cards a lot of stuff - but it
is GPL which makes it difficult to use in many commercial FreeBSD
projects.

It's been discussed to death in this forum before but the worst possible
thing that Imagestream could have done was to put SAND under GPL.  If you
had simply put it under BSD license then BOTH the BSD and Linux people
could have used it, in fact Netgraph may have never been written, and a
lot of other commercial UNIX's might have used it too (like Apple's
MacOS X)

>> No offense, but once Imagestream stopped selling WANic400's you
>> ceased being an entity of interest to FreeBSD, as you no longer sell
>> any products that run under it.
>
>I'll reiterate what I've said to you privately:  ImageStream DID NOT make
>the decision to discontinue the 400 series or the RISCom/N2 series.  This
>decision rested solely with SBS.

I believe you, I believe you.  But, did the decision makers at SBS even know
that the BSD community currently can't use the 500 series and above?  And
that discontinuting it would cut out that section of their market?  Did you
guys know that?

>However, FreeBSD users are NOT without options:
>
>1) FreeBSD users can still get the WANic 400 and RISCom cards from the
>second hand market, as another person mentioned.

Doug, in this last year alone I've bought about $20K worth of miscellaneous
networking crap off Ebay for resale to our customers and other purposes.
(keep in mind I hold the technical reins to an ISP and we will do what it
takes to get a customer connected to us - and a lot of times that involves
getting them a cheap router off Ebay because they cannot afford anything
more than a $200 router.  And you would have nightmares if you saw what
kind of router that $200 fetches. :-))  I've had enough experience with
the used networking market to say what I'm going to say here.

During that time I've seen WANic or RISCom cards come up for bid exactly SIX
times.  And, THREE of the times I was the sole bidder and bought them.  The
other three times, well one was a 56K card, another the seller wanted $500
(hah) and the other the seller wanted another rediculous amount.  During that
time I've also kept tabs on what the commercial networking resale vendors
that I also buy from have been doing and I've not seen anything at all marked
RISCom, WANic, or Imagestream.

I hope very much that the dump of cards on the market in September will
eventually
percolate down.  But I don't believe that the second's market will be a
significant source of WANic 400's anytime soon if ever, and here is why:

1) The cards are almost impossible to identify if they are just loose with
no documentation.  Some vendors slap their moniker in unmistakable letters
across all their cards, SDL/SBS and you guys never did.

Understand that the level of people that break up old PC's and sell them for
scrap is barely above that of your average parts-puller in any auto wrecking
yard.  What they can't understand or identify they break while going
after what they can identify.  I very much doubt that an old WANic or RISCom
card will make it through these people if it's inside an old PC that's
scrapped
out.  They will probably toss it in the garbage along with that "weird cable
with
that screwy rectangular connector on it"

2) The price drop going from the closeout auction sale to the actual market
cost is too great for most dealers to take.  What I mean by this is that
right now, someone is sitting on a stack of 1000 WANic cards that they spend
$100K for, with stars in their eyes thinking of how they can make a half
million dollars by selling them on the second's market for $500 apiece.
What they don't understand is that the best sale price they might get for
a closed-out WANic 405 now (since the vendor is no longer making the card)
is about $20, $30 if they include a cable.  Unless SBS closed out that 1000
cards for $10K, and included boxes and manuals with every card, whatever
dealer
or company that bought them is going to get totally screwed if they attempt
to unload them on the used market.  It's going to take that company several
years
to understand this, and by the time they are willing to write off the $10K,
nobody is going to know what the cards are anymore and they will probably be
pitched in the trash.

3) In my opinion, about 30% of computer and networking hardware is scrapped
because it's broken.  That leaves 70% of scrapped gear re-usable.  My gut
feeling is
that the second's market sees about 30% of this.  This means that the majority
of scrapped WANic 4xx cards will never get near the seconds market, they are
going to
be pperfectly good, operating cards that are going to go straight to the
landfill.  Simply due to the percentages, while 1000 cards dumped on the
seconds
market SEEMS a lot, it's a drop in the bucket of the total amount of computer
and networking gear that shows up in the second's market.

The seconds market is great when it comes to handling computer gear that was
once
widely used and very popular.  It's horrible at handling gear that is very,
very
narrowly targeted.  And it's not just computers that are like this, many
other second's markets operate the same way.

>2) WANic 400 series cards are still available in quantity.  If the market
>for FreeBSD is as large as you claim, then you or someone else in the
>community should have no problem snapping up a quantity of these cards and
>reselling them to interested parties.

As you know, price determines everything.  At $777 per WANic405, you elected
NOT to purchase 100 of them from SBS and just warehouse them.  (I'll assume
that your probably paying at least $500 per card, which is $50K for that
quantity of 100)  If SBS is going to continue to have that offer of they
will sell them to you at lots of 100, why then in your shoes I'd make
the same decision, because with SBS dumping 1000 of the cards on the
used market, you could be putting $50K into a white elephant.  I mean, if
you sell 100 WANic cards a year, why then if SBS dumped 1000 of them,
that's a 10 year supply floating around out there.

Surely, if a few years go by and the dumped WANic 405's don't show up on
the seconds market, you could then perhaps assume that someone screwed up
and pitched the lot of them into a Dumpster, and it might then be safe
to consider investing that $50K into a batch of 100 of them.

Now, if SBS is willing to do a lot of 100 cards at a wholesale price of,
say $50 dollars a card, then I and a lot of other people could probably
round up 100 sales very quickly at $100 per card.

But I'll stop there because I know that all this is marketing and the
technical
people on the mailing list are probably asleep by now. :-)

  I'll go one step further: If anyone
>contacts me about the WANic 400 series, mentions that they are for
>FreeBSD, I promise to give an extra 15% discount over and above our normal
>volume discounts just to illustrate my desire to support the FreeBSD
>community.

This is a kind offer but you have to put some pricing to it.  If your
only selling them in lots of 100 cards, at the price on your website of
$777 per card, that's 15% off a $77K sale.  I'd guess that your volume
discounts would drop that $77K quite a bit - but still out of reach
of an individual company, of course.

But this is all academic marketing of course - because at those dollar
levels, it's far cheaper to simply pay a developer to write FreeBSD
drivers for the WANic 5xx series of cards and deal with the licensing
issues.

>3) Virtually ALL of our customers, save for OEMs making their own
>products, purchase complete routers.  Going this route would eliminate the
>need to have FreeBSD support, as any user would have a standalone router.

Remember, your talking to a bunch of FreeBSD people here, they might not
want a router based on Linux.