Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:02:10 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jlh@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jlh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cannot get zfsboot prompt

Hi there,

Can you please keep me cc'ed as I'm not subscribed.  Thanks.

I've struggled all over the weekend to make a remote machine full ZFS.
I did it once last year. I already struggled a lot at that time by the
way so I took notes, but it doesn't work (see below for a manuel
screenshot):

The server is using the mbr partitionning scheme, with one slice --
ada0s1.  There is a BSD label on it with two partitions, ada0s1a which
is used in the zpool and ada0s1b which is used for swap/dump.

I've set up boot0 and it works correctly:
  gpart bootcode -b /mnt/boot/boot0 ada0
I've then set up zfsboot:
  dd if=/mnt/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 count=1
  dd if=/mny/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1a skip=1 seek=1024

Here is the relevant datasets, the pool as been imported with
altroot=/mnt:
  rescue-bsd# zfs list | head -n 3
  NAME                               USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
  zroot                              827M   913G    31K  none
  zroot/rootfs                       826M   913G   381M  /mnt

  rescue-bsd# zpool get bootfs zroot
  NAME   PROPERTY  VALUE         SOURCE
  zroot  bootfs    zroot/rootfs  local

When the server boots I get:

F1   FreeBSD

F6  PXE
Boot:  F1
_

Any idea?
Thanks.
--
Jeremie Le Hen

Scientists say the world is made up of Protons, Neutrons and Electrons.
They forgot to mention Morons.