Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 1997 10:16:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        beckmann@nacamar.de (Michael Beckmann)
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC EtherPower 10/100 on 10BaseT network

> Greetings,
>
> I have obtained an SMC EtherPower 10/100 Rev. C Ethernet card with a
> Digital 21140-AE chip. When the system is booted, the link state on the

I haven't seen the Rev C card with the 21140-AE chip yet, but you
could try adding a ``-link2'' to your ifconfig statement which should
force the card into 10BaseT mode.

> 10BaseT hub is dropped. The card is switched to 100BaseTX mode. I searched
> the mailing list archives, but haven't found messages relevant to this
> issue. Anybody know how to force the card into 10BaseT mode ?

Does the card report itself as an ``SMC9332BDT'' during the boot,
or is it comming up as a generic 21140 card?  Ie, can you send
us the dmesg output for it?

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD