Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 12:31:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jason Taylor <jason@kanda.com>
To:        Dan Welch <dwelch@transbay.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printing barcode labels

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Dan Welch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to print bar code labels and to save them in an postsrcript or
> another scalable vector format.
> I need to do UPC and code 128. I have searched allover the net and can't
> find anything to do this.
> Does anyone now any way to do this?

Try looking closer to home.  A utility is available in the freebsd ports
collection which looks fine for your needs.

/usr/ports/graphics/barcode

GNU barcode is a tool to convert text strings to printed bars. It
supports a variety of standard codes to represent the textual strings
and creates postscript output.

Main features of GNU Barcode:

* Available as both a library and an executable program
* Supports UPC, EAN, ISBN, CODE39 and other encoding standards
* Postscript and Encapsulated Postscript output
* Accepts sizes and positions as inches, centimeters, millimeters
* Can create tables of barcodes (to print labels on sticker pages)

WWW: http://www.gnu.org/software/barcode/

Jason..