Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 15:49:04 -0400 (AST)
From:      Michael Richards <miker@scifair.acadiau.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        scrappy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Compiling PERL on FreeBSD

Hi folks;
I have been trying to compile perl for about 2 weeks on a FreeBSD 2.2.2
box with no luck. I am trying to compile it with the sfio libraries.
I installed those without too much trouble and the test script that comes
with them does not indicate any errors.

The perl install blows up on make depend. It does this with both the ports
version of perl5.001 and the downloaded version of perl5.004 pl 4 I got
from the cpan site.
Here is the section where it explodes...
Finding dependencies for av.o.
Finding dependencies for scope.o.
Finding dependencies for op.o.
Finding dependencies for doop.o.
Finding dependencies for doio.o.
Finding dependencies for dump.o.
Finding dependencies for hv.o.
Finding dependencies for mg.o.
Finding dependencies for perl.o.
Finding dependencies for perly.o.
Finding dependencies for pp.o.
pp.c:45: parse error
pp.c:47: parse error
pp.c:49: parse error
pp.c:54: parse error
Finding dependencies for pp_hot.o.
Finding dependencies for pp_ctl.o.
Finding dependencies for pp_sys.o.
Finding dependencies for regcomp.o.
Finding dependencies for regexec.o.
Finding dependencies for gv.o.
Finding dependencies for sv.o.
Finding dependencies for taint.o.
Finding dependencies for toke.o.
Finding dependencies for util.o.
Finding dependencies for deb.o.
Finding dependencies for run.o.
Finding dependencies for universal.o.
Finding dependencies for globals.o.
Finding dependencies for perlio.o.
Finding dependencies for miniperlmain.o.
Finding dependencies for perlmain.o.

The parse errors seem to happen on any version I try to compile.
I looked at the pp.c file and the mentioned lines occur inside a comment
and I can not see any problems with the file itself.

Someone mentioned that I should try to build it statically and I tried
that as well with no difference. I looked at the makedepend part of the
script and it is doing some funky stuff with sed that I don't even pretend
to understand. I don't think it is likely that my version of sed is too
old, as the system was installed fresh as 2.2.2-release...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
-Mike