Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:46:56 -0600
From:      James Earl <james@icionline.ca>
To:        Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Plans for after FreeBSD-5.3-RELEASE.

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 09:51, Benjamin Lutz wrote:
> As for making KDE and Gnome into more of a "FreeBSD Desktop" (you've
> mentioned themes), I think it's a great idea. However, I'm sure I'm not
> the only one who likes the fact that FreeBSD provides the "vanilla
> version" of those two Desktop Environments, as opposed, for example, to
> the heavily modified KDE that SuSE ships. So may I suggest that you make
> your efforts here optional? Something like this maybe:
>
> cd /usr/ports/x11/kde; make install  # Installs "FreeBSD Desktop"
>
> cd /usr/ports/x11/kde; make install -DWITH_VANILLA # Installs Vanilla KDE
>

> Benjamin

That's one thing that I've always loved about FreeBSD / FreeBSD ports...
that they almost always give you a "vanilla installation."

I don't think FreeBSD artists should be scared off though.  Anything
that is high quality will likely be embraced by FreeBSD and non-FreeBSD
desktop users.

I visit art.gnome.org daily to see if there's anything new and cool!

James