Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 22:28:15 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/ too big?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>
> > And the only reason they so so is that "you" have not given them any other
> > choice.
>
> No, the reason is that "I" don't see the need for such a tool.
And therefore are unwilling to accept it.

Unfortunately, this kind of tool affects the infrastructure. It CANNOT be used
experimentally by only a few. In order to use it, EVERYONE has to agree that
they will participate.

 >  > > As for tools to maintain the repository, they
already exist. (see rcs) > > All it will take is a little script to run over the
distribution repository and > > purge as appropriate.

> I look forward to your PR containing said script.
>
> > Writing the script is MUCH easier than opening your eyes to the idea that there
> > might be a better way.
>
> It shouldn't take too long, then :-P

in rcs, we used to tag the files periodically so we could purge to a known point
If I recall correctly,

find ${RCSROOT}  -name "*,v" | rcs -o9906:

did the trick.

In CVS, I think we need to first convert a tag to rev# because I don't think

find ${CVSROOT}  -name "*,v" | cvs admin -oJUN99:

works.

In any case, you can see the general scope of the code. I'll "debug" it IF you
agree to USE it (after appropriate demo on sample repo, of course)

Actually, for what I am proposing to do to ports, we don't need CVS. RCS should
be adequate since there is no need to support branching.

> No, FreeBSD is and always has been progressed by people who do the work to
> solve a problem. Expecting someone else to do the work for you is just not
> the way it works.

I'm not expecting you to do the work for me. I just want you to get out of the
way and let me do it. I'd probably still be running the CTM system if it hadn't
been for attitudes like yours that force one to take whatever the ostriches
throw downstream.
 --
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@Dataplex.NET