Date:      Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:29:46 -0600
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS can't delete files when over quota

On Nov 10, 2012, at 1:21 PM, Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net> wrote:

> On 11/10/2012 12:55 PM, Chris Rees wrote:
>> Bryan,
>>=20
>> Please try the patch at [1]; if it works I'll document it.
>>=20
>> Chris
>>=20
>> [1] http://www.bayofrum.net/~crees/patches/bdrewery.diff
>>=20
>=20
> Hmm, I'm not a fan of -T. I think it should just work out-of-the-box =
here.
>=20
> Something like:
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~bdrewery/rm-quota.txt
>=20
> Bryan

This also may cause unintended or weird behavior with regard to =
open/running binaries or processes that want to keep a file open.

If you're trying to rm a binary that's currently in use, this is =
normally a supported feature. Old copies of the binary keep running and =
the disk space isn't actually freed until after everything holding the =
old version exits. With the patch, truncate will fail with ETXTBSY. =
Having rm fail with ETXTBSY is probably wrong.

Programs are also allowed to keep reading/writing to a file that another =
process has unlinked. Unlinking a file is not supposed to destroy the =
contents of it until after everyone is done with it. Throwing a truncate =
in there changes that behavior.

I realize this is only happening under already broken circumstances, but =
changing unlink to occasionally doing unlink-truncate-unlink is going to =
make some hard to debug situations occur.

Also, you need to be testing errno =3D=3D EDQUOT, not rval.

-- Kevin