Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2011 10:27:29 +0100
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kenneth Vestergaard <kvsbinsol@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting from a ZFS pool exported on another system.

--dc+cDN39EJAMEtIO

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 06:36:42PM +0100, Kenneth Vestergaard wrote:
> Hello.
>=20
> I'm trying to create some VirtualBox-images with a ZFS root filesystem, b=
ut
> I can't seem to boot from it. I just get a "No ZFS pools located, can't
> boot".
>=20
> If I take the generated image, and boot it with an mfsbsd-CD, import the
> pool, and reboot, it works fine, so I'm guessing zfsboot doesn't like it
> when the pool has been exported? I can't find a way to build an image-file
> with a pool, without having to export it from the buildsystem when I'm
> done, so I'm in a bit of a catch-22 here.
>=20
> Is this a bug in zfsboot, or simply just the way things work?

This was implemented that way, but I don't like this behaviour too.
I was beaten by this in the past myself. I just looked at OpenSolaris
code and they only skip destroyed pools, which is better than what we
do. Could you try the following patch:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfsimpl.c.patch

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org