Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 20:30:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Free BSDNewbie <fbsdnewbie@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HELP: mount point disappeared after rebuilding kernel

I'm using the following setup:

FreeBSD 40-STABLE (april 6 build, now april 7 build)
Pentium 166 w/ 64Mb ram
2 IDE hard drives

I recently mounted a partition on my 2nd HD and
created some symlinks in order to free up some space
in /usr.

I mounted the partition as /disk2 using the
/stand/sysinstall apps's DISKLABEL menu option from
INDEX menu.

I then created created symlinks after copying the
current contents of the original dirs:

ln -s /disk2/var /var
ln -s /disk2/tmp /tmp
ln -s /disk2/local /usr/local

So far so good, everything worked fine for a couple
days (I believe I even rebooted once during this time
without problems).  At this point a "df -m" showed
everything as I desired with /usr and /disk2 showing
300Mb and 100Mb free respectively.

I rebuilt the kernel after cvsuping 4.0-STABLE using
the same script I've used numerous times.  Everything
seemed normal until I rebooted immediately after the
rebuild--the system rebooted to single-user because it
couldn't find /var!!

For some reason /disk2 became just a regular directory
on / and it doesn't have the var, tmp, and local
subdirectories it had before the rebuild/reboot.  When
I do a "df -m" /disk no longer shows up on the list.

Consequently, I've lost /var, /tmp, and /usr/local
until I figure out how to remount /disk2 without
losing the data.  Any help would be appreciated.

Is there any reason the /disk2 mount point should
disappear like this?

NOTE:

The script I used to rebuild the kernel simply had
(I'm paraphrasing since I'm on a diff machine):
cd foodir
config -r foo
config foo
cd ../../compile/foo
make depend
make
make install

I repeat that this script was used previously and it
wan't modified so I doubt it has anything to do with
the mount point disappearing.