Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:06:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates problem?

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Bernd Walter wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 12:13:43AM -0500, David Scheidt wrote:
> > I had a 3.2 stable (from 30 May 1999)machine panic tonight, trying
> > to load the oss driver, which is not too shocking.  What was shocking
> > was the damage done to my filesystem.  The automatic fsck failed,
> > with an UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATES INCONSISTNCY.  PARTIALLY ALLOCATED
> > INODE I=39684.
> >
> What kernel-config are you using?
> I have had several fs-crashes because of a to high configured maxusers.

The only diffs between my config file and GENERIC are:
1. softupdates
2. no support for hardware I haven't got
3. pty is 64

I am not actually complaining about the panic;  I think the oss
driver is a piece of crap.  I just happened to have a soundcard
that they support that the FreeBSD drivers don't, and a .wav file
I wanted to listen to.  What does disturb me is the damage done to
a pretty quiet filesystem.  I wouldn't have thought that toasting
a whole bunch of files that were not in use would be the normal
behavior.  I have seen lots of panics, but have never seen filesystem
damage as bad as this.

David Scheidt