Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:52:14 -0500
From:      "Jud " <jud@operamail.com>
To:        <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>, <george@galis.org>
Cc:        <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>, <nl3481@wi.rr.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: EIDE drive performance improvements

----- Original Message -----
From: Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:04:00 -0500 (EST)
To: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>

> > Well it 'seems' faster with the tags option, never heard of that, but
> > we'll see if it croaks!
>
> The tags option enables tagged queueing on some IBM drives. I'm not sure
> but I think that allows multiple ata commands to be sent to the drive at
> once or something. I could be wrong so someone correct me if I am
>
> Ken

I had been using the tags option, but stopped because:

(1) My FreeBSD installation is now on a RAID array, and it
seems that although each of the 2 identical IBM ATA-100
drives in the array is "tag-capable," the array is not; and

(2) Leaving hw.ata.tags="1" in /boot/loader.conf appeared
to cause some momentary problem messages on bootup once or
twice - never enough to stop the boot altogether, but
enough to cause it to pause for a moment or two.

Jud