Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:44:38 -0600
From:      "K. Gunderson" <kgun@iacan.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
Cc:        Oleg Ogurok <oleg@ogurok.com>, Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.0 release

On Sun, Oct 03, 1999 at 01:20:12PM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > >          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > it smells like it will be able to run on 4Mb of RAM.
> > > is that correct ?
> > >
> > I am not sure about this, but it will definetely smell (stink) on 4mb ;)
> > People, RAM doesn't cost big $$$ anymore ;-)
>
> I had to laugh at this because I was trying to come up with a polite
> response and stink is a funny way to describe the poor performance
> such a system will have. I figure the apparent speed of the ram will
> be 10 millisecond because my HD's have a 10ms average access time.
>
> You haven't priced ram since the Taiwan earthquake. The 128MB I have
> in a couple of my systems went from $90 US to $324 US.

<rant>
It's not jsut the earthquake, as prices started climbing well before
then.  Much of this has to do with Micron's taking over and subsequent
closing down of Texas Instruments.  Thus they are the only US manufacture
left that I am aware of.  Moreover, Micron has also suceeded in getting
protectionist tarrifs applied to imported RAM.  So the writing is on the
wall:  my 128 MB sticks have gone from $120 to $380 in 2 months, and
still climbing.  Boo Hiss!  So write your congressman people and
complain bitterly!
</rant>

--
Ciao--Ken
http://www.y2know.org/safari

Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with your Microsoft product.