Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 07:43:54 -0400
From:      jspath@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us (Webmaster Jim)
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Lynx and packet size

I read this on the lynx-dev list, and thought someone more knowledgable
about FreeBSD could answer the following:

On Jul 31,  8:52pm, lynx-dev@sig.net wrote:
} From: Klaus Weide <kweide@tezcat.com>
} To: Information Help Desk <info@adn.edu.ph>
} Cc: Lynx Development <lynx-dev@sig.net>
} On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Information Help Desk wrote:
} > HI !!!
} > 	Our server is running the FreeBSD operating system. We ported
} > lynx and have it installed without problems. We tried connecting to
} > popular sites such as www.yahoo.com and www.lycos.com and lynx
} > successfully connects. However, when we tried sites such as
} > www.freebsd.org, ftp.cdrom.com, and www.altavista.digital.com, lynx
} > somehow cannot connect. It stops on the message at the screen's bottom
} > saying,
} >
} > 	HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
} >
} > And, this goes on forever !!!
} >
} > 	We tried lynx running in the Linux operating system, and it was
} > able to connect to such sites where lynx in FreeBSD cannot connect to.
}
} I strongly suspect that this has nothing to do with lynx, but with
} the TCP/IP implementation of the operating systems you are using
} and/or your machines' network connections.  You should hoave the same
} kind of problems when using other programs from your FreeBSD machine,
} so that connecting to e.g. ftp.cdrom.com with the regular ftp program
} shouldn't work either.
}
} I connected to the five servers you listed from a linux machine and
} watched (with tcpdump) the packets that were received from those
} servers.  The three servers that you list as not working have in
} common that they are sending packets longer than the minimum
} MTU of 576 bytes.  The two servers that worked for you did not.
} So I think there lies your problem - your networking path cannot
} transmit IP packets greater than 576 bytes, and the FreeBSD OS
} does not properly implement either "Path MTU discovery" or
} "packet fragmentation and reassambly" (or your router does not
} send the required ICMP error messages back to your FreeBSD machine
} when it drops a packet that is too big).
}
} If you have a ping command that allows you to specify a size for
} the probe packets (-s option or similar), try it for different
} sizes and see what you get.
}
} I am not familiar with FreeBSD, but probably the easiest solution
} (or workaround) would be to find the proper parameters to use for
} the "ifconfig" command when the machine boots.  On Linux, that
} would be something like "ifconfig <...> mtu 576".  Or if you
} are using PPP or SLIP to connect to the Internet, use the
} appropriate options there.
}
}  Klaus
}-- End of excerpt from lynx-dev@sig.net
--
I don't speak (or work) for the Baltimore County Public Library.
They keep telling me, "Shhhhh!"