Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:40:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Richard Kojedzinszky <krichy@tvnetwork.hu>
To:        Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64 xen hvm shutdown

Dear Colin,

My config for this domain is here:

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen-4.0/boot/hvmloader"
builder = "hvm"

name = 'db.real-charts.com'
memory = 512
vcpus = 1
cpus = '1-3'
disk = [
         'phy:/dev/sys/db.real-charts.com-root,xvda,w',
         'phy:/dev/sys/db.real-charts.com-swap,xvdb,w',
         'phy:/dev/sys/db.real-charts.com-tmp,xvdc,w',
         'phy:/dev/sys/db.real-charts.com-var,xvdd,w',
         'phy:/dev/sys/db.real-charts.com-usr,xvde,w'
]
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:00:04:01,bridge=eth0' ]

vnc = 1
boot = "c"
stdvga = 1
localtime = 0

hpet = 1
acpi = 1
apic = 1
pae = 1
usb = 0

on_poweroff = "destroy"
on_reboot = "restart"
on_crash = "restart"

But as I read the documentation, on_poweroff means what to do when the
domain powers itself off. But for me it seems, that xen sends a halt to
the freebsd domain, exactly as if I issue a
# halt
In that case, the domain does halt, and shows that the system is halted,
and press any key to reboot. Unfortunately I dont have a freebsd on real
hardware, so I dont know if issue a halt on that does it powers itself
off.

But when inside the domain, and I issue poweroff, it works as expected, I
guess it sends an acpi poweroff to xen, and then tha virtual machine gets
stopped.

Regards,

Kojedzinszky Richard
Euronet Magyarorszag Informatikai Zrt.