Date:      Mon, 06 Mar 1995 14:28:39 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: more ETXTBSY bugs

>I'd like to see the people seeing the thrashing problems add about 16M
>of swap without doing any extra apllications and see what happens.  If
>the vnode pager is happy, this should be doable with a swap on file.
>My immediate suspicion is that the problems would just go away until
>the cache was filled again (this time consuming all of swap).

   We now believe that the thrashing has nothing directly to do with the page
cache. Poul discovered a problem with the name cache that causes it's hit rate
to decrease into the teens when the "thrashing" starts happening. After
examination of the name cache contents, he found that directory vnodes were
getting regularly flushed and this was causing the file vnodes to be invalid.
I thought the problem had to do with the file vnodes having a reference most
of the time (and thus not on the free list), but when we made some changes to
give priority to reclaiming file vnodes, this didn't help. I'm now of the
opinion that someone introduced a new and interesting bug in the past two
weeks or so that is screwing the name cache and that our merged VM/buffer
cache has little or nothing to do with it.

-DG