Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 09:43:52 -0500
From:      Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /boot/kernel.conf and "No such device" message

I recently installed version 4.0, updated it with cvsupit and then
recompiled the kernel.  After I ran make world and rebooted, I ran into a
problem with ps not executing but looking through the mail archives, I
recompiled the kernel again and this fixed the problem.

Although what's happening now is not very serious, it's annoying.  After
recompiling and rebooting, I looked at the dmesg output and saw the following:

real memory  = 268369920 (262080K bytes)
config> di sn0
No such device: sn0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
config> di lnc0
No such device: lnc0
Invalid command or syntax.  Type `?' for help.
etc, etc, etc.

While digging around, I found the file /boot/kernel.conf that contained:
di sn0
di lnc0
di le0
di ie0
di fe0
di ed0
di cs0
di bt0
di aic0
di adv0

Does kernel.conf need to have this text in it?  Is this file
necessary?  Can I remove the lines (none of these devices are in my
computer) without problems?

TIA

Oscar

"Don't believe the hype"