Date:      Fri, 12 May 2006 16:25:40 +0200
From:      User Gandalf <gandalf@messias.qhigh.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirror and partitioning

  Hello!

I would like to install a new FreeBSD 6.1 system on a computer that has
two SATA drives. They are the same type. I would like to use gmirror. I
read the handbook here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-mirror.html

But there is something I do not understand. The handbook suggest that I
install FreeBSD on only two partitions: a swap and the root fs. But I
would like to create many partitions. I think I can do it the following way:

   1. Install a basic system on drive /dev/ad0, using two smaller
      partitions (2GB for swap and 10GB for the root fs).
   2. Create the /dev/mirror/gm device on /dev/ad1, as suggested by the
      handbook
   3. When doing 'bsdlabel -wB /dev/mirror/gm0s1', I can allocate gm0s1a
      and gm0s1b with the same sizes (10GB and 2GB) but I can also add
      other partitions for /usr, /tmp and /var. Can I?
   4. Then I can copy the whole system from ad0s1a to
      /dev/mirror/gm0s1a, and continue the installation, following the
      instructions in the handbook
   5. Finally, after I added /dev/ad0 to /dev/gm0 and I'm done with
      synchronization, I would like to format the additional partitions,
      dump and restore my current /usr, /tmp and /var directories,
      change my fstab and reboot...

Will this work? Sorry for the dumb question, but I have never done this
before. The handbook only suggest that I install FreeBSD on one /
partition only, but it does not tell how to create new partitions after
mirroring.

Thanks,

   Laszlo