Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 11:54:33 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amazon email response

I really hate to defend a software patent abuser, but I still buy at
amazon for the following reasons:

The usability of their website and the number of book descpriontions
is magnitudes better than the next one. Maybe not so much for computer
books, but for history and similar areas it is hard to beat.

No major security concerns has been brought up about amazon (at least
that I heared of). For me as a German it is not that bad if my credit
card number is stolen, but nontheless I wouldn't like it to be in
public abuse collections.

They're responsive to email, and the answers don't miss the question
as it is often the case for ebusiness companies.

For the moment it looks like they try to improve the software patent
issue. A company like amazon as an ally when fighting the madness is
very important. See Tim O'Reillys latest letter exchanges.

The facts so far don't contradict their claim that they use their
patent only against B&N and that B&N is in fact worth fighting

They once were known for spamming and stopped that (AFAIK). This as
well supports the opinion that they are willing to work with and react
on reasonable people.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@bik-gmbh.de> http://www.bik-gmbh.de/~cracauer/