Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:23:58 -0000 (UTC)
From:      davidt@yadt.co.uk
To:        "pobox@verysmall.org" <pobox@verysmall.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/perl5.8 fails

> David Taylor wrote:
>> Do you have anything odd in your /etc/make.conf (e.g. USE_APACHE)
>
> This did it!
>
> I had USE_APACHE=2.2 in /etc/make.conf,
> because I think php was building with Apache
> 1.3 by default.
>
> Did not think this would confuse perl.

The problem is that you should never set USE_* except inside a port
Makefile.  Setting that in /etc/make.conf gives every port a dependency on
a version of apache (which requires perl, hence the problem building
perl).

The 'user settable' options are usually WITH_* or WITHOUT_*.

I'm not 100% sure (and can't check right now), but there might be an
option that you can (reasonably) safely set globally in /etc/make.conf to
prefer apache 2.2, but I don't know what it is.